The thought never crossed my mind to make my own Oreo Cookies. Why bother? I can go to the store and buy a whole package – easy. Well there’s just something about making your own version. Bring them to a party and people will exclaim, “Homemade Oreo Cookies?!” and silently envy your amazing baking skills. It’s really quite simple, and they just look so darn cute. And honestly, they taste way better than store bought.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons room-temperature unsalted butter
1 large egg
1/4 cup room-temperature, unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar.
3. Reduce to low speed and add the butter, and then the egg for 3 minutes.
4. Roll a teaspoon sized ball and slightly flatten on a vegetable sprayed baking sheet (or baking mat) approximately two inches apart and bake for 9 minutes. Set aside to cool.
5. To make the cream, on low speed beat the butter, sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
5. To assemble the cookies, you can use a pastry bag or a butter knife to put about a teaspoon of cream on one cookie and top another cookie on top. Simple!